Friday, November 10, 2006

Is It A Cultural Thing?

I have been living in London now for 5 months and becoming a regular commuter, I have started taking the Tube to work. The first thing that struck me about the tube was that I'd just come from New York City, and their subway had no problems dealing with the 8 million locals plus the extra 2-4 million tourists there on a daily basis. London has a population of 7 million and I wonder why, oh why, is there never a day when every single tube is running as it should be?!

And when did it become acceptable to try and push through the travellers who are trying to get off the train, so that they can get on first. Even if the announcement comes over the loudspeaker to let passengers off the train before boarding, there are still those selfish a$$holes who thinks it's acceptable to be impatient.

And another thing, when did it become ok to not stand up for your elders and give them a seat on the train? I have given up my seat a few times this week and have noticed the other commuters looking at me, wondering what I'm doing, then proceed to bury their heads in their evening paper. It's like a seat becomes available and thre's this mad dash to get there first. Why not look around and see who's more deserving of it, like the pregnant lady on my train yesterday.

Finally, when did the sentence 'The (insert train line name here) is having delays at the moment, due to a person on the tracks' become ok to be announced out loud?

I am 5 1/2 months into my 2 year working visa... I wonder if I'll last the distance...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get the feeling that the london tube system is basically one extension built on another, as opposed to the New York Subway system, which was sort of planned. That, and New York realises how important their subway system is.

moviemerlin said...

Yeah, I guess because the London system is so old, being an older city. But I love the New York Subway.. it's much better organised!

Anonymous said...

Yes and every other week they search your handbags and back packs, which really isn't a problem unless your train is just about to come into the station.

 

Free Hit Counters
Sony Television