Thursday, January 18, 2007

Rocky Balboa London Premiere

I am running behind with my movie premiere posts, but I have always wanted to take a leaf out of my friend Hughe's book and post one the actual week it happens. So here it is...

Last night (yes, I'm on the ball) was the premiere for 'Rocky Balboa' at the Vue Cinema in Leicester Square, London. I arrived at about 4pm after work and my friend 'D' had saved me a front row spot. There was no one else behind me until about 10 mintues later, so I didn't feel bad going to the front. We weren't standing in our regular spot, we were down the end near where the cars stop. It's usually a good spot if you want autographs, but you can never be sure. If you just want photos, it's probably not the best spot. Usually I go for photographs, that way, there's no disappointment. That said, I do usually print up a photo... just in case.

At about 6:30pm three cars pulled up and Sylvester Stallone jumped out of the middle one. When he got out of the car, he did a full circle and waved to the crowd. We had a great view of him, but unfortunately my basic digital camera decided it was too dark and wouldn't take any good photos. I am only putting up the two good ones I was able to take and yes, that's another watermark for CitizenImage.


After giving the crowd a wave, he then proceeded to walk around the barriers at the end of the red carpet and went and shook hands with pretty much everyone in the front row, which I thought was nice of him. The dealers (ebayers and such) went into a bit of a panic wondering if that was all he was going to do.

He then went and gave and interview for about 5 minutes, doing a couple of arm muscle poses and stopping to wave to the fans as he spoke. After the interview, he then went over to the barrier and started signing autographs. And that's when the pushing began - fans, dealers and tourists who'd just stumbled into Leicester Square and were trying to ge that perfect photo on their camera phone.

He was very quick and by the time he got to me, I had just enough time to get a quick photo of him signing as well as hold out my photo to get signed. It's not a big photo - about 10cm x 15cm - and his autograph pretty much takes up the whole photo, but I don't care, it's just for me, for a frame, it's not for sale. Ever.


He basically signed for everyone that was in the front row and even knelt down to put a nice full autograph on some of the poster boards. The autograph my friends and I got was very rushed and I think it says 'Sly' because I can't make out that it says anything else. I was impressed at him signing too because he was weaving back and forth between the barriers, but he'd always remembered where he'd stopped signing. I guess he's been doing it for some time now. A couple of the dealers thought they'd hit the big time when he started to make his way back but then he stopped and walked off just as he got to them. I could only smile.

He was very friendly and even though he was rushed, he greeted everyone with a big smile as he shook their hand or signed their photo. I wasn't sure what to expect of him, being such a well known celebrity, but he was really very nice. I had heard only good things about him and now that I've met him, I can only add to those comments. But my gosh, he's showing his age (60 years).

There were a couple of other celebs that turned up, but I think they were boxers and as I don't know them, I figured there's no point in posting their photos.

2 comments:

HughE Dillon said...

WOW excellent photo of Rocky. I swear those celebs are so good to the fans in London. Sly didn't sign for fans at the premiere in Philly and there was a whole street full. Although I have to say he was with his entire family.

HughE Dillon said...

Miss you:(

 

Free Hit Counters
Sony Television