Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Jack Black and a Love Song

I skipped a movie premiere last night to do my first 'hotel wait'. The premiere was for 'It's a Boy Girl Thing' and I didn't really know the actors and I really needed Jack Black's autograph on a photo. I missed Jack at the Tenacious D in the Pick Of Destiny premiere in London about 7 weeks ago. He stopped signing at the peron to the left of me. I did get Kyle on it that day, so Jack was my mission. I had heard Elton John was going to be at the movie premiere (inside information - in truth, I can't remember where I heard it but it was weeks ago). Turns out he did show and apparently he signed a few autographs. I wasn't fussed, as I'd seen him at the James Bond premiere in November.

So, I went to the hotel and waited for Jack Black. I felt so ashamed of myself... waiting at a hotel like that. I don't mind premieres, the celebrities are meant to be there, but hotels and restaurants and stuff, that's their personal time. One of the 'dealers' (ebay) guys I met the other day, was nice and liked me because I'm australian, so he told me what hotel Jack was going to be at. Lucky, because I would've waited at another one, where he's stayed at the two previous times he was in London. Anyway, my friend gave me the number plate of the car and I waited. I waited til 7pm and figured, well, I must've missed him because he'll be on stage in a hour or so, plus my friend had the licence plate, so I guess that means he'd seen him.

So, I went off to do some Christmas shopping, then went to stage door for the play 'Love Song', where I got Kristen Johnston (3rd Rock From The Sun and ER), Cillian Murphy (Red Eye, 28 Days Later, Batman Begins) and Neve Campbell who I loved in Party of Five. She was quick and only did about 3 autographs. I said to her 'Don't you miss Toronto?' and she looked up at me and smiled. I said 'I used to live in Markham' and she was like 'Oohhh...'. (It's not so much that I lived Markham - a suburb of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) - but I have cousins there, and I always go to stay with them for 6 weeks at a time... poor them, but they're lovely for putting up with me!) I then asked Neve if I could take a photo of her and she obliged. She seemed to be in a bit of hurry, but she was very sweet.

I then went back to the hotel and got there about 9:40pm... and waited... and froze... and waited... and froze. The doorman asked who I was waiting for and I told him 'I'm ashamed to say, it's a celebrity... I've been collecting autographs for 4 years, and this is the first time I've done a hotel'. At 11:20pm his car pulled up and his bodyguard (typical big black American dude who was like 'stand back... stand right back...') got out of the car and then Jack's wife got out and the nanny (? I'm guessing) and Jack got out holding his baby boy. I was like Shit... I'm not approaching him if he's holding his child. He totally ignored me and I thought it was clever of him - using his child so he wouldn't have to sign - but I was the only person waiting. They started to head in the hotel and the bodyguard held me back (I had no intention of going into the hotel, but I guess he didn't know that). He was inside and the bodyguard waved me off and the wife and nanny were heading in and I was like 'Are you serious? Please, I've been waiting here for hours. Genuine Fan. I just want to put the photo in a frame' (All true). By this time the women were inside talking briefly and I was about to walk off and the nanny came out and was like 'Give it to me, I'll get it for you'. 'Oh.. really? Thankyou SO much!'. She took the photo and my pen and came back a minute later. I was like 'I'm so sorry, I've never done a hotel before. Thankyou so much. I'm really looking forward to the concert tonight... oh sorry, I mean tomorrow night' (I think the cold froze my concentration but made me seem like a genuine fan, plus the concert was sold out, but I had tried to get a ticket on ebay a few weeks ago, but wasn't paying £100 for a £25 ticket. I do however have the Tenacious D CD - it's very funny, but vulgar at times! Rock and comedy... it makes for an interesting listen!).

I didn't take any photos of Jack though. As soon as I saw the baby I was like, nope, I don't want the flash to go off in the childs eyes... considerate, I know! I got to bed about 12:30 this morning! So there you go. It paid off, but I'm not in a hurry to do that again. Hotel waits are VERY boring! On the plus side, it was a chance to see the usually arrogant and self-absorbed Mr Black being all sweet and tender with his baby boy, carrying him out of the car and into the hotel. That's a side you don't see much of him in the movies.

Above is a photo of 'the photo'. Kyle had signed it a few weeks earlier at the 'Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny' Premiere at the Vue Cinema, Leicester Square, London. That little scrawl in the top right hand corner is what I spent 3 and a half hours in the cold waiting for. Sad, but true. But like I said, it'll look nice in a frame!

No comments:

 

Free Hit Counters
Sony Television