Saturday, September 08, 2007

The Bourne Ultimatum Premiere

So, I'm a couple of weeks behind... but hey, at least I'm not a couple of months behind!

On Wednesday, August 15th, 2007 was the UK premiere for the new Jason Bourne movie. I booked my half day off work weeks in advance for this premiere. I was hoping to get down there at lunch time to get a good spot. Naturally, something came up at work, so I was trying to get through it as fast as I could. I mean... Matt Damon was in town!!!

I got to Leicester Square a little later than I'd planned and I arrived just after 2pm. I was thinking the whole way there (all of 3 stops on the tube from work to my destination) 'Oh no! I'm late! I'm not going to get a front row spot. I'll end up without an autograph and with too many tourists and autograzzi in my photos'. Alas, when I made it into the gardens, there were a couple of front row spots left. Maybe 10-15. I snapped one up.

Turns out I ended up right at the entrance to where the celebrities would be coming in. The gardens are always hard to pick where to stand because it's guartanteed to be a different layout almost every time. This time turned out great. I ended up being right opposite the paparazzi.

And here's the photos I took from my prime position...



The above is Tom Gallop. I didn't know his name at the time, but I'd certainly seen the face. I heard the paps yelling out for him 'Tom! Over here Tom!' and I thought, 'Ok, that's his name then'. So, he was halfway through posing and I gave him a yell... 'Tom, will you sign please?'. He then posed some more and was was about to walk off... 'Tom! Tom, would you please sign?' and he came over and signed... for everyone but me.

I then said 'Tom, can I get your autograph please?' and he said 'I'll sign for you, because it was your voice that brought me over here'. I'm thinking 'Buddy, it's not the first time I've been told that by a celebrity'. Yes, I have a loud voice when I'm yelling for someone's attention. Yes, I've been known to start chants at premieres. Yes, they always come over.

Once he signed I said 'Thank you very much and have a nice night'. I'm always polite to them... I mean, they're just people after all. I do think Tom deliberately left me until last because after he signed, he headed off to do some interviews. He was really nice.

Sorry about the rain drop on the picture... would you believe the sun was shining all afternoon until about 10 minutes before everyone arrived, so a couple of my photos were ruined.

And below... the man of the evening....



Yes, that's Matt Damon arriving with his beautiful wife Luciana Borroso.



He posed for the paparazzi upon arriving and then headed off to do some interviews for about 10-15 minutes. The fans were like 'Matt! Matt! Matt will you sign please?'. He ran off to pose for another picture and just after I took the above photo he said 'I'll come back... I promise'.



And he didn't disappoint...



Here is is (sans suit jacket) slumming it a little and not at all bothered by that famous England rain that was getting on his lovely shirt. Matt must've spend about 40 minutes signing...



And signing some more. I don't think there was a fan he missed. Neither inside the gardens, nor out. This is the third time I've seen Matt Damon and I have nothing but good words for him. He's just lovely. And always takes his time to sign for the fans. One of those rare Hollywood gems that's not caught up in the fakeness of it all and appreciates that people have 'waited in the rain to be here today'. What a great guy!
Ah, here's someone who didn't like signing for the fans. That's Julia Stiles. The first time I saw here was in New York City 2 years ago. It was me and a my photo friend Hughie waiting. She didn't even stop for a photo.


This was her first London premiere, so I guess she felt she had a duty. I think she signed for all of about three minutes. Maybe five. She spent longer posing for photos I think. When being interviewed, she did however thank the fans for coming out. That's something I guess.
Yes, that dress is VERY see through!
The fellow below is British actor Joey Ansah. He does a big fight scene with Matt in the film. He was really lovely and signed for all the fans that asked.


Below is director Paul Greengrass. He also directed 'The Bourne Supremacy'. He didn't direct the first film. When he came over to sign I said 'Thank you so much for Flight 93' and he looked at me and smiled and said 'Oh thank you. You're very welcome'. He only managed to sign one autograph each, but I wasn't quick enough with the photos. He was really nice and interacted with the fans, listening to what they were saying as he signed for them.



The final star of the film to turn up was the actress Joan Allen. She didn't spend much time with the fans instead opting to pose for the photographers and do her interviews. I saw her sign about five autographs near where I was standing and I missed out on mine by one person. Not too worry. Yes, her dress was a little long, as you can see, it was dragging on the floor so it got a little wet.



A couple of surprise guests on the list for the evening were the following actresses...



That's Neve Campbell of 'Scream' and 'Party of Five' fame. I met her a few months back when she was performing on London's West End in 'Love Song'. She always seems very shy. She's a good actress, but I feel she doesn't understand all the hype, like she just wants to get in there and do her job. But she took the time to say hello and sign for the fans. I've seen her about four times here in London and although she doesn't say much, she's really quite lovely.
Below is the actress Bonnie Wright. She plays Ginny Weasley in the Harry Potter movies. Now, I have to say, she was a little strange. The fans were calling out for her and I didn't want her autograph, but they must've spent a good 30 seconds yelling at her... from a 3 metre distance... and she didn't acknowledge them.

She only decided to come over and sign once Katie Leung decided to sign for the fans...


She is also in the Harry Potter movies and plays Cho Chang, Harry's love interest. She was really nice and signed for the fans... yes, the same ones that had been calling Bonnie. I didn't have anything for them to sign, so I didn't bother with them. I'm happy with the photos.
So all in all, it was a really good premiere. In terms of stars from the actual movie, it was a really good turn out. Matt Damon spent a lot of time interacting with the fans and it was well worth it just to see him. Everyone else was an added bonus.

3 comments:

HughE Dillon said...

Its always raining over there, come back to NYC.

moviemerlin said...

crI know, it's forever raining in this country. Uuggghh!!

And I will be in NYC from the 21st of December. Well, the 22nd because I get in late. I emailed you dates.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, was Bonnie really like that? Not signing things until Katie started signing? :/

 

Free Hit Counters
Sony Television