Friday, March 23, 2007

An Answer For Caity

I met someone through this blog months ago. A new friend. We are 10 years apart in age; she is younger. Our interests are incredibly similar as are our thoughts. I never dreamt to meet a friend through this blog. I honestly never thought a friendship would blossom from me stumbling across a webpage. I never thought I'd 'meet' someone who is so similar to me, yet she is so wise beyond her years. I always think it's harder to trust as you get older, so making a friend is difficult.

Not with Caity. We just clicked. I think we're on the way to becoming good friends. I like that she asks me things and I hope she doesn't mind me giving her advice. I also like that she makes me forget that people I actually know read this blog, but I'm still able to write about my deepest darkest fears as well as my hopes and dreams.

She has asked me a question. Ironically, it's a question I've been asking myself a lot in recent months. My mother asked it of me just the other day. I don't have the strength to tell her my aspirations. I think she thinks I'm destined to be an office worker for the rest of my life. I pray I won't be. I'm afraid she wouldn't understand my dreams. Caity would. And for that, this answer's for you...

I have always loved movies. Always. I go to the cinema once a week. One week, when I was living in Toronto, it was snowing and I was so bored I went every day. It is my personal best, seven days in a row. Before that, it was five days. But I didn't mind, because I'm so passionate about movies.

When I was younger, I dreamed of being an actress. I wanted to be on the big screen or do theatre. One of my drama teachers told me when I was 16 that I should get an agent. I never did. That is my biggest regret. You are already living a life I would love, Caity. You are getting the experience and putting yourself out there. Some days, when I read you blog, I feel that I am living vicariously through you. I wonder if you mind?

I often still dream of being an actress, but I'm 27 now. Well on the way out for Hollywood. And I just don't have the physique. The dream is still there, but I am now certainly convinced that that is all it'll ever be. Some days I accept it, most days I don't. Still, I try to move on to a different dream. Still in the entertainment industry, but taking a different direction. I wonder if it's too late. I'm crossing my fingers and toes and hoping it's really not. I have just found out one of the ladies I work with is leaving her career that she's been in for 10 years to start afresh. She's off to study to become a teacher. She's 38. If that's not an incentive, I'm not sure what is.

I want to write movie scripts. I want to write plays. I want to write short stories. I want to write about travelling. Basically, I just want to write. I wrote a short 15 minute play when I was only 15 years old. It won second prize for the State. I haven't written like that since. I have a few ideas for some scripts. A couple of good comedy lines. A drama piece that I hope will have you thinking about it long after you've seen it, but I don't know if it should be for the stage or screen. Also, I'm not sure how to get the thoughts from my head onto paper. My confidence and self esteem are not where they should be and I always ask myself 'Who on earth would want to read what I've written?'. I fear it's not interesting. Boring. Mundane even.

I also didn't study writing at university (even though I have a major in drama and did a semester on scriptwriting). Because I haven't studied it, I wonder if I can take it up as a profession? I have recently been given advice by a writer I know to 'put myself out there' and send out parts of my writings to publishers and see if anything happens. It won't happen overnight, that much I know, but I need to learn perserverence. I need to learn patience. I need to learn confidence. Most importantly, I need to stop procrastinating.

I understand with a job like this there is a lot of travelling involved, research and what not. I'm sure there'd be days when I mind. I'm of an Italian background, so family is very important to me. But I'm of the new generation and understand that getting a job nowadays - especially that dream job - means you'll probably have to move away from family and friends and all things that you find comfortable. It's difficult, but I've been doing it for about 4 years now. I travel, go home and make some money and then travel again. As hard as it is, it's a lot easier than it sounds, what with telephones and emails. And at the end of the day, home is only a plane ride away.

I just want to be happy. I don't want to do this job for the money or the fame, I want to do it because it's what I want to do. I don't want to have to wake up in the mornings and wonder why I'm doing a job I don't want to do. I don't want my first thought in the morning to be a curse word because I'm getting up to go somewhere I don't want to be. I don't want to have to keep thinking 'What if?...'. If I had the choice to be an unhappy dot com executive making millions of dollars or a cleaner making less who is contented with life and has a loving network of family and friends, I'm the kind of person who'd choose to be the cleaner. I just want to be happy.

So that's my dream job. Writing. Script writing in particular. It's hard to get into and I wonder how I'll deal with 'writers block', but there's plenty of time to worry about that. I think this is the year to start working towards it. God knows it's just not going to fall into my lap. So although I haven't found it yet, I hope I eventually will.

I hope one day I'll walk that red carpet with you, if you'll let me.

I didn't mind you asking. I'm glad you did. Infact, I was wondering when you would.

I hope your question's answered now.

5 comments:

Think-itFilm-it said...

This is amazing.
I must say that I never thought I would become friends with someone who read my blog, either. A blog that I hoped no one would find. I've said it before, but I'm grateful you read it and commented all those months ago because this has been fun. I look forward to your comments and your new entries. I like not knowing what they could possibly say.
I'm glad you don't mind my questions. I'm a generally curious person. You're welcome to ask them as well. Although, I'm sure you were aware. I love your advice.

I think writing is a beautiful ambition. I considered it for a while myself. Well, I guess I still do consider it. My major was creative writing a while back. But, it fell through.
As I'm sure you expected me to say, I would love to read some of your writing. My teacher made us carry a notebook around with us at all times and at least once a day we had to write something in it. I often wrote narratives or descriptions of the strangers I passed. Maybe you should try that. It starts new ideas and gives you character descriptions to fall back on. It's also relatively easy to do while working on something else. The beautiful thing about writing is that you can start it at any time. I don't think you should let the fact that you didn't study it hold you back. As long as you feel good about it and are willing to take criticism to help improve 27 is young. You have plenty of time to get yourself out there and perfect your work. Yes, writing is competitive but what career isn't?
I completely agree with just wanting to be happy comment. I just want to be happy too. Maybe though, we'll find happiness in whatever we do.
I can't imagine anyone wanting to live vicariously through me. That's kind of exciting. I hope I don't let you down.
I hope you find your happiness.
I hope that someday I'll come to London and meet you there. We'll go to see some movies and then walk together down the red carpet. And then compare screenplays.
Sounds like a plan. : )

moviemerlin said...

Like I have before, I'll say it again... I'm glad I came across your blog by happenstance.

I find it flattering you sitting and waiting in anticipation for my new blog post. What is funny is that I'm exactly the same with yours.

I don't mind the questions and I'm glad you don't mind the advice. I am also curious myself, but there's somethings I'm not curious about - like slowing down to see the accident on the side of the highway.

I will take up your suggestion about the notebook. A writer friend I know also recommended I do the same. I really should start putting the thoughts in my head down on paper or I'll never get anywhere.

That'd be something is we caught up in London, wouldn't it?

And I hope we both find our individual happiness. Infact, I hope that of everyone reading this comment.

HughE Dillon said...

WOW Julie your writing really moved me. Today I just sent out an email to friends about this being my 16th anniversary at my job; I wanted to say a lot more, like sometimes I curse when I wake up in the morning thinking of going to my job, or I know I could make more money and be more productive (especially when I work on projects outside of the office), but I know that I keep my job because currently it pays the bills and allows me to persue my photography passion after work hours. Don;t give up Julie, go after your dreams. I;m so glad you have a blog, I love keeping up with your life.

moviemerlin said...

Thanks for your kind words Hughie! Good to know I'm not the only one out there cursing myself when I wake up and I know what you mean about having a job for the moment because it pays the bills. But then the moment passes and you realise that 5 or 10 years have passed. I'm glad you're able to pursue your photography. I got a snazzy new camera on my holidays, so I hope I'm able to do something with that now. I've taken some nice photos at the recent premieres. Now, if I can just figure out how to get them off the memory card....

Anonymous said...

It is NEVER too late to do something you really weant to do....yor in London, you can go and study at night to become a better writer...or go to the library and find a book to help you 'polish up' what you have written. I currently have a dumb idea for a book....but what to do about it??? A friend of mine has a son who is currently working in London in an advertising agency...he wrote a book about a tourist in Aust on the Gold Coast...I can't remember the title of the book...but his name is Johnathon Drapes and his book is now published and getting rave reviews...but he had to send it to several agencies before he was published..as you said, it doesn't happen over night. Stay safe!

 

Free Hit Counters
Sony Television